Hello everyone and Happy Sunday! Ana here writing from NY where we Book Smugglers are having our first State of the Union meeting of 2015. THE PLANS, THEY HAVE BEEN MADE.
But let’s get down to business.
The winner of a signed ARC of The Wand and the Sea is:
The winner of an ebook copy of Inked (on your choice of eReader) as well as a signed Punchline vinyl is:
The winner of the Candlewick Press giveaway is:
LA LA IN THE LIBRARY
Around the Interwebs:
Queerly Seen launched – Cass (from the sadly instinct Bonjour, Cass) has launched a new exciting blog with the following mission:
1. Engage with books, literary criticism, publishing news, and book blogs from a queer perspective;
2. Affirm the importance of diverse perspectives within the book blog community by being unavoidably recognizable as coming from a queer point of view;
3. Serve as a space where an agreement on the importance of authentic LGBTQ characters in fiction and LGBTQ subjects in non-fiction, as well as a basic understanding of LGBTQ people and our history, is assumed;
4. Emphasize that the queer perspective presented is a singular*, personal perspective and does not claim to be, nor does it try or even want to be, speaking for “the” queer community as a whole**; and
5. Support critique and criticism of books by and/or about LGBTQ people as an important method to demand more and better representations of the queer community.
BLOGTABLE: The Positive Value of Negative Reviews – Over at Nerds of a feather, flock together, their inaugural blogtable with three bloggers talking about The Positive Value of Negative Reviews was published a few weeks ago and it’s well worth a read. Maureen Kincaid-Speller, Jared Shurin and Jonathan Mccalmont make excellent points.
Ghostbusters’ Reboot with an All-female Cast – There is a reboot of Ghostbusters in the works, possibly starring Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig. SNL aluminii Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon are in negotiation with the producers. This is hands down the coolest thing we heard all week.
Fangirl Happy Hour – Episode 2:
As you probably know by now, Ana has embarked on a new adventurous side project: a podcast with our friend Renay of Lady Business!
Fangirl Happy Hour is a biweekly podcast where Ana and Renay get to fangirl about everything under the sun: books, comics, TV and movies, fandom and pop culture. Each episode will have three segments (three different topics of conversation) and extra recommendations of things they liked.
The second episode was released last Tuesday 27: they talked about Sex and Romance in Science Fiction; The Hugo Awards; and The Very Best of Kate Elliott.
In the meantime, you can find Fangirl Happy Hour on the interwebs at their website or:
This Week on The Book Smugglers:
On Monday, we are proud to host Kate Elliott with an essay for SFF in Conversation
On Tuesday, we have a surprise giveaway/reveal. Hint: it has to do with our fall 2014 stories and gorgeous art.
On Wednesday, Thea reviews A World Without Princes, the sequel to The School of Good and Evil
On Thursday, Ana reviews Kate Elliott’s short story and essay collection, The Very Best of Kate Elliott
On Friday, Ana closes out the week with a review of The Invisible Library over at Kirkus
And that’s it for today! Until tomorrow, we remain…
~Your friendly neighborhood Book Smugglers